Board Nomination Process
Board Member Expectations & Nominations
The Alumni Board elects new officers and members at the fall meeting each year. To nominate someone, please complete the nomination form and submit it as instructed below. Nominations for the Alumni Board must be submitted to the Office of Alumni Relations by September 1st.
Completed nomination forms may be emailed to email@example.com or mailed to the Office of Alumni Relations, Valdosta State University, 1500 N. Patterson St., Valdosta, GA 31698.
To be considered to a board position, the candidate must be able to meet the following expectations:
- Alumni Status: Board members must be an alumna/alumnus of Valdosta State College or Valdosta State University.
- Board Member Handbook: All board members are expected to familiarize themselves with the content of the handbook distributed at the annual board retreat in January.
- Meetings of the board: Board members are required to attend quarterly board meetings. A new slate of board nominees is presented and voted on by the membership during the fall board meeting. The winter retreat in January/February is the first meeting new members attend and serves as a forum for all members of the board to get acquainted and to develop the plan of action for the board for the calendar year. The other two board meetings are held in the spring and summer, usually on the third Friday at lunch on campus. Out of town members are permitted to call-in. Members are also expected to attend other meetings of the board and their committees as scheduled. Click HERE for annual meeting dates.
- Committees of the board: The Valdosta State University Alumni Association has seven committees of the board, and each director is asked to serve on at least one.
- Participation: Board members are asked to make every effort to support and attend as many Alumni Association activities and University events as possible. Along with committee and board responsibilities, the VSU Alumni Association hopes each board member will take great pride in helping the board achieve a 100% participation rate in the Annual Fund. The recommended giving level of each board member is $250 annually.
- Set the Example: You are an ambassador for Valdosta State University.
- Share your thoughts, ideas and energy!